Lady Demon’s Volleyball annual Digfest tournament to be hosted this weekend

Submitted by Stacey Aldredge
Annual Demon Digfest tournament invites community for a day of indoor volleyball.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana Lady Demons volleyball team will host their indoor Digfest, a 4-on-4 volleyball tournament where students and fans of the team can participate.

The event is used as a way for the Lady Demons volleyball team to raise money, while being able to listen to music, win prizes and meet the team.

Digfest has been a yearly charity event since 2010, and associate head coach Stacey Aldredge has been a player during the event and has witnessed the involvement between fans and Natchitoches residents.

“I always love interaction from fans and citizens, it helps with the fundraiser and gathering more eyes into our sport,” Aldredge said “This helps with so many things for our team and raises money to support our team.”

Since Digfest is a charity event, the money will be going toward the Lady Demons volleyball team’s funds and expenses. These funds are the Summer Scholarship Fund, Volleyball Media Room, Volleyball Locker Room Renovation and NSU Volleyball Program.

With this event coach Aldredge said that this event is not only a benefit for the lady demon’s volleyball programs and players, but a benefit for the university as a community.

“I believe this is a benefit for the school because of the exposure it gives to the school, to local citizens, future prospects of the school and even current students not familiar with the program,” Aldredge said. “Being able to meet and interact with our players and learn more about what we are trying to build here.”

There are sponsorship opportunities available at the end of the tournament. Opportunities like $175 banner sponsorship (custom court-side banner) with the team, $300 promotions sponsorship (name and logo on all promotional items) and $700 tournament title sponsorship (name and logo on all promotional items).

However, the tournament comes with restrictions to sign up and register a team.

All teams must have at least one girl on their respective team, including a current Lady Demons’ volleyball team player and the team must have a total of six members. Teams must check in an hour before they play (forfeit if not met). The team cost also differs depending on the team.

Meaning the team entry fee would be $150 for a team without a current NSU player and $175 for a team with a current NSU player.

“It’s not required for our players to play, but we advocate for our players to interact with the community and just to have fun,” Aldredge said.

Registration ends Feb. 14, so be sure to apply. Once all the teams are assembled the brackets and schedules will be released via email.

The tournament begins Feb. 17 at Prather Coliseum. Even if not competing, access is allowed for students and local citizens to come watch the games and support the players.