Lady Demon Reaghan Thompson wins women’s volleyball Student-Athlete of the Year

Brad Welborn
NSU 14 Reaghan Thompson broke the NSU single-season record with blocks at 164 total and a 1.52 per set average this past season.

Reaghan Thompson, sophomore nursing major and middle blocker for the Lady Demon’s volleyball team, has earned a big achievement in her volleyball career. Thompson has been named the Southland Conference (SLC) volleyball Student-Athlete of the Year.

She is also the first Northwestern State University of Louisiana volleyball player to receive the honor and the sixth NSU student-athlete to receive the award. For Thompson being given this award came to her as complete shock.

“Honestly I didn’t even know it was an award like that out there and I didn’t know I won,” Thompson said. She hadn’t heard the news until Stacey Aldredge, associate head coach, called her to tell her.

Thompson broke the NSU single-season record with blocks at 164 total and a 1.52 per set average. This led her to enter top ten nationally in both categories last season.

Thompson, while setting records, also posted a 3.93 GPA in the NSU nursing program and made A’s in almost every class.

“It is honestly difficult doing both but I kinda knew it would be when I took nursing. But this is something that I am serious about and want to pursue after volleyball and I realize the stress that practice and studying for a nursing degree can be,” Thompson said.

However, Thompson talked about how important it is to have teammates, coaches and friends by her side for her mental health and in volleyball.

“I am so grateful for my teammates and my coaches for understanding the pressure and stress I am in constantly and being supportive and making it easy for me,” Thompson said. “But also I want to thank my friends for being my biggest stress relievers and people I can vent to.”

Even with this recognition, Thompson reflects back at the season and acknowledges what she can improve on. “I do look back at my stats and see what I can improve on, more so for the team because volleyball is a team sport and I need to improve for the team,” she said.

One of the things that motivates Thompson the most is a quote that gets her ready for games.

“A quote that I have as a sticker at home is kind of self-boosting. It is what a coach said to the team on giving me the ball more. ‘She is freaking Reagan Thompson’ and that really stuck with me because it showed me how good I can be when I put my heart and mind to this sport. I am Reagan freaking Thompson,” Thompson said.