Kappa Alpha investigated for hazing

Mearle Gates

NSU’s Kappa Alpha chapter was recently investigated for an incident of hazing during one of their meetings. During this investigation, the fraternity was placed under a suspension of activities, meaning they were not allowed to tailgate or host parties.

According to Director of Greek Life Shayne Creppel, there were rumors that an incident had taken place, but no students had come forward at that time. The fraternity’s activities were suspended in order to investigate because there were no details and a lack of complaints.

“What we were able to find out is that yes, these things at this particular meeting took place in order to just make people physically uncomfortable, but at that same time, one person went too far with another person,” Creppel said.

Unable to release specific details and names, the incident boils down to an individual making another individual physically uncomfortable. The chapter itself was disciplined for allowing the individual to make a pledge physically uncomfortable and lying about the event taking place.

Creppel went on to say the national chapter issued sanctions, and the university itself added similar ones.

“Those [sanctions] included a review of the members. So chapter officers were replaced, the pledge board was replaced, and certain individuals were removed from the chapter,” he said.

Dean of Students and interim Vice President for the Student Experience Frances Conine also commented on the situation.

“They have new leadership, and they did a complete review of… every man in that chapter,” Conine said.

This change in personnel is hoped to lead the fraternity to being more aware of their pledges’ comfort and their own actions when dealing with potential members. The recent hazing incidents across the nation creates a focus on Greek Life and their interactions.

Creppel summed up the incident with the following words:

“There was an allegation of hazing, but it did not rise to the level of anything that would cause the closure of a chapter.”

Hazing is not allowed on Northwestern State University’s campus and should be reported to the Office of Greek Life and University Police.