Clothing Policy at the WRAC challenged by Students

Valentina Herazo Alvarez

Northwestern State University of Louisiana’s on-campus gym, the Wellness Recreational Activity Center has received complaints from students about the clothing policy.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana’s on-campus gym, the Wellness Recreational Activity Center, has received complaints from students about the clothing policy. Students view the policy as unfair as it states that clothing such as crop tops, sports bras and altered shirts are not allowed.

On March 14, Patrick DuBois, the director of the WRAC discussed the policy at an open forum hosted by Northwestern State University’s Student Government Association.

At the meeting, DuBois stated that the WRAC has had such policies for years. DuBois said the policy was placed to minimize skin contact and to accommodate others.

“We’ve simply better defined our policy around COVID-19 and simply said there would be no sports bras or altered shirts,” DuBois said. “More than half of the schools in Louisiana have such a policy.”

Students at the meeting such as Sydney Connery, senior biology major, said the rule was not enforced equally.

Chelsea Calup, junior nursing major, said a compromise could be made.

“I think a solution to this may be compromise and that students be required to bring a towel,” Calup said.

Patrick DuBois responded to these suggestions and criticisms by stating that the guidelines for the WRAC will be placed under review and that the recreational sports committee may meet to come up with new rules to accommodate.