Students and Faculty react to the Russian invasion of Ukraine

Rhododendrites Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0

The newest development in Ukraine and Russia’s relationship has some students and faculty at Northwestern State University of Louisiana concerned.

Ukraine and Russia’s relationship has been tense since the two countries had conflicts at their borders in 2014. Now Russia has invaded Ukraine and the two are in the first major European conflict since World War II.

Hayleigh Todd, sophomore social work major, heard the news from her mom.

“I was kinda shocked,” Todd said. “If we got involved, my boyfriend who is in the military might get sent.”

Melody Gilbert, an assistant professor of New Media and Communications at NSU said the conflict has interrupted others’ careers and has placed those they know in danger.

“I was supposed to go to Ukraine, to Kyiv, to present my films there,” Gilbert said.

Two weeks before fighting broke out, Gilbert was told by the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine to not go.

The Louisiana Political Science Association, who had their 50th annual conference, had to change part of their schedule and program to fit in a discussion panel to discuss the possible future of both American, Russian and Ukrainian policy.

The panel was moderated by Greg Granger, professor of history, and held at Morrison Hall over the weekend.

John Sutherlin, a professor at the University of Louisiana in Monroe said that, for Russia, the invasion of Ukraine is considered a major political and economic importance to the ruling class there.

Dominic Ross, junior and humanities and social thought major at the Louisiana Scholars’ College, said he has been keeping up with conflict since last December.

“I don’t believe the conflict will pose an existential threat to the United States, but you never know,” Ross said.