HSJA’s “Latino Living” is back with a new season

Stream Episode 1 of “Latino Living” Season 2.
Nick Taylor
(L-R) Isabel Juarez Rubio, Laura Cabarcas Vargas, Naydu Daza Maya, Lia Portillo Cantarero and Allison Florez Bermudez.

This story has a Spanish version.

The podcast “Latino Living” is back with a second season. This time around with new faces, new funding and new topics. “Latino Living” is a Hispanic Student Journalist Association (HSJA) produced podcast recorded in the New Media, Journalism and Communications Arts’s podcast studio. “Latino Living” is produced under the guidance of assistant professor Nick Taylor.

After completing season one, the podcast was recognized both nationally and at the state level. Nationally, the podcast is a recipient of a Telly award for podcast of excellence, and recently, Latino Living was awarded the Rebirth Grant by the Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities. The purpose of this grant is to find community voices such as those at Northwestern State University of Louisiana.

HSJA will produce four more podcasts throughout the academic year. The podcast streams are in audio/video formats. Each podcast will feature Hispanic students sharing their stories about what it’s like being a Hispanic in Louisiana.

This season’s first episode, Latino as a Trend, features an interview with Mirla Gonzalez Enriquez, an associate professor in the graphic communication program, as she recalls the times where her culture has been glorified. As well as Taylor’s expertise on latino trends in marketing and mass media. This episode dives into the importance of trends and the cultural impact that they have on the Hispanic community.
Laura Cabarcas Vargas, a business administration major and technical director of the podcast, is in her second season of creating this podcast and she is excited for the stories “Latino Living” will tell.

“We can expect more episodes about diversity, since we have new students with different cultural backgrounds, and more involvement from the university, ” Carbarcas Vargas said.

Aside from cultivating cultural stories, the podcast strives to engage the viewers.

“I’m excited for the next season because I think a lot of younger people are going to be able to relate to the topics being discussed and because they are learning in a fun way,” Allison Florez Bermudez, podcast editor, said.

“Latino Living” looks to satisfy Spanish listeners and viewers. Through cohesive episode planning, a more interactive video style and a new season the podcast waits for the audience to experience the topics with the team.

“Latino Living’s production crew put so much thought, talent and skill into each episode, it is no surprise the podcast has become the only consistent Hispanic voice in the CENLA region,” Taylor said. “There are going to be great topics, informative guests, the return of Naydu Daza Maya with commentary from Lia Portillo as hosts and just an overall fun experience. I appreciate NSU’s support throughout Season One and look forward to Season Two.”