Meet the 2023 Homecoming Royalty: Their path to representing NSU

Lia Portillo Cantarero
(L-R) Ebenezer Aggrey, Bailey Willis, Zoe Johnson and Zach Cooper.

Each Homecoming game, community members and the student body of Northwestern State University of Louisiana look to Harry Turpin Stadium as the lights shine on that year’s Homecoming court. On Nov. 4, the court will line the field and await the announcement of the King, Queen, Miss NSU and Mr. NSU as they hear their names ricochet across the stadium.

Members of Homecoming royalty clutch to the excitement and reflect the years that led up to this moment. Most importantly, the impact that they want to leave as holders of these titles.

“Hearing my name being nominated for Mr. NSU was truly an honor to hear and see the support of my fellow peers, ” Ebenezer Aggrey, this year’s Mr. NSU, said.

To Aggrey, receiving this recognition means more than a title. Being Mr. NSU is a role that amplifies his time at the university.

“Being selected as Mr. NSU, to me, means representing the university with honor, dignity and respect. It is what we choose to do with the platforms we receive that really makes a difference.“

There is always more that goes into a position given to someone than what the title offers a person. However, it is the person who receives the title to make the difference or to choose what to do with it.

“The best part of being Miss NSU so far for me is being able to represent the curly-haired Black girls out there, and show people that your natural self is beautiful,” Bailey Willis, Miss NSU, said.

Willis wants to use the title of Miss NSU as a platform to inspire others to embrace their natural beauty. She makes sure others know that there is value and beauty in what the rest of the world may not view as worthy.

“I struggle with imposter syndrome sometimes, but time and time again, my peers show me that I am worthy, and it means so much,” she said.

Self-doubt is an obstacle many people face, and Willis openly shared her experience with it. Now with the title of Miss NSU, she received affirmation from her classmates, allowing her to feel valued. A feeling that she strives to pass down to others.

“It is so humbling to be able to represent my university on such a large scale as this. I love NSU so much,” Willis said.

Zoe Johnson, the Homecoming Queen, shares with Willis a love for NSU.
“It was such a surprise to find out I was Queen,” Johnson said, “I just love every single human on this court and I cannot wait to get Homecoming week started.”
Johnson was excited to feel the validation and honor from the student body.
“I honestly think the best part about being Queen is getting to make my momma proud, not necessarily because of the title, but because she now gets to see how people have recognized what she’s known for years,” Johnson said.
Becoming NSU’s Homecoming Queen is a symbol for the way Johnson is viewed by her peers.
“I believe that she is so deserving of the title,” Zach Cooper, NSU’s Homecoming King, said. “She is such a hard worker.”
Since last summer as Freshman Connectors, Johnson and Cooper have become best friends. The pair enjoy sharing this experience of being King and Queen together.
“Whenever I found out that Zach Cooper was King, I legitimately cried. And I don’t cry,” Johnson said. “He is so deserving! He is kind to everyone he meets and is a stranger to none.”
Cooper is glad to know the student body views him as someone fit for their Homecoming King.

“It makes me feel like I am truly making a positive impact on my community,” Cooper said. “NSU has been a place for me to grow and be comfortable with who I am. It’s an amazing feeling to know that I might be helping make it feel the same for others.”

The years that these students have spent at NSU creating friends, making a home and delving into campus life are a testament to NSU’s values.

“NSU has truly become my second home. I would not be the person I am today without this campus, the faculty and staff, and my friends I’ve made here,” Cooper said.

On Homecoming day, Aggrey, Willis, Johnson and Cooper will feel the love that they have given to the university back to them as friends, family and faculty applaud them for their accomplishments.