NSU organizations celebrate Homecoming through events and competitions

Jayda Gee
(L-R) Alexis Callihan, Kay Callihan and Logan Falgout work on the banner for NSU Ambassadors.

For weeks organization members pick up paint brushes, gather designs, practice dances and prepare for this year’s Homecoming competitions.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana’s Recognized Student Organizations will participate in several Halloween-themed competitions during Homecoming week that will be judged on a ten-point scale to earn a ranking. They will then be awarded points based on rank.

Yonna Pasch, director of student affairs, welcomes all on-campus organizations to celebrate Homecoming.

“Each organization and member can attend all Homecoming events and programs as they are free of charge to currently enrolled students,” Pasch said.

Only organizations that have signed up may participate, but not all will actually compete. This year out of the approximately 100 RSOs at NSU only 25 RSOs signed up to participate.

Jacob Boyter, Pi Kappa Alpha Mu Kappa Chapter president, will participate in the 2023 Homecoming competitions.

“The Mu Kappa Chapter enthusiastically joins the spirited competitions that make Homecoming memorable, from building creative floats to choreographing entertaining lip-sync performances, they go head-to-head with other organizations,” Boyter said. “These competitions foster brotherhood and unity within the fraternity.”

Boyter plans to fully embrace Homecoming traditions with his brothers.

“This celebration of Northwestern State’s Homecoming is a time for the Mu Kappa Chapter to display their pride and passion for their alma mater, creating lasting memories while participating in time-honored traditions,” Boyter said.

The Pi Kappa Alpha Mu Kappa chapter will be tailgating with their alumni in celebration of Homecoming tradition.

“During this special week, the fraternity invites all its alumni to partake in the festivities,” Boyter said. “One of the highlights is undoubtedly the Homecoming game and tailgate, where members come together to support NSU.”

Terrell Woodard Jr., co-founder and public relations director of the Black Male Alliance (BMA), is thrilled to participate in the organizations’ first Homecoming.

“Being that this is our first Homecoming celebration, we have been anticipating participating since our inception, so this year is really special,” Woodard said.

Woodard hopes to ensure that BMA will be successful for years to come, so that they’ll all have something to come back to as alumni of NSU.

“Since we are a new organization with no alumni, our view on Homecoming is a little bit different,” Woodard said. “This year, we are using Homecoming as a motivation to continue the legacy of the BMA.”

Madison Anderson, Alpha Omicron Pi Kappa Chi (AOII) chapter president, hopes to celebrate Homecoming by participating in everything she can.

“Alpha Omicron Pi celebrates Homecoming by participating in everything we can,” Anderson said. “We are in lip sync, painting a banner, designing a Halloween tote bag, and donating to the food pantry!”

This Homecoming, AOII hosted an open house for alumni to see renovations to their sorority house.
“We love to participate in lip sync and the competitions every year, but it is also such a great way to give back to the university and our alumni,” Anderson said. “Homecoming to Alpha Omicron Pi means tradition.”
Anderson is eager to celebrate Homecoming with her sisters.
“AOII looks forward to Homecoming every year, even our alumni are excited!” Anderson said. “We are so excited to be participating in Homecoming this year.”