What Black History Month means to NSU students

Malaya White is a senior communication major.

Question:
“What aspects of Black History Month do you feel are important for people to know?”

Answer:
“It is important that people know about the invitation that black people have and have had in our culture. There are a lot of things that Black people should probably get their props for to this day that they don’t get props for and I think it’s important to inform people because it is an amazing history to learn about.”

Malaya White
Senior
Communications Major

Question:
“Do you think it is more important for people to use the term African American or Black?”

Answer:
“I feel like it is important for everybody. A lot of people have died for our rights, there has been so much segregation and everything else. Martin Luther King Jr. , Malcolm X and Rosa Parks have died for us to have rights. to vote, to walk and to even drink out of the same faucet. So I feel like it is okay to use both African American and Black should be used. It doesn’t mean anything, it’s not offending anybody, as long as it is used the right way.”

Dwan Stuckey
Senior
Human and Exercise Science

Question:
“What aspects of Black History Month are most important for white people?”

Answer:
“Education is what I feel is most important for white people when it comes to Black History Month.”

Andrew Slayter
Sophomore
Hospitality Management and Tourism

Questions:
“Which do you think is more correct: Black or African American?”

Answer:
“I think that Black is more correct for me personally because African American is for people who were more established in the continent of Africa. Being that we have been in America for generations I feel as though Black is more appropriate. Because Africans are Africans and Black Americans are Black Americans.”

Amari Gaines
Freshman
Secondary Education

Question:

Answer:
“African American. Because I feel like when you just say Black it is more offensive to some people, whereas African American people say ‘your from Africa but you are born in America’. So that’s a better way to say it in my opinion.”

Iyciz Waites
Freshman
Nursing Major