Students react to new Chick-fil-A hours

Lalaina Wood
A change in the hours at Chic-fil-A leave students with reduced access to a food option.

In February, Sodexo announced a change in operating hours for Chick-fil-A and Steak ‘n Shake. Many students at Northwestern State University of Louisiana were surprised by the change in hours.

Previously, Chick-fil-A was open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Now, Chick-fil-A has released its new schedule: Monday through Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Some students like Kaylee Glenn, a sophomore nursing major, were blindsided by the change in hours.

“I didn’t even know the hours had changed, I feel as though it was not advertised enough,” Glenn said.

Due to the hours changing early in the semester, many people were busy with new classes, and for students with more hectic schedules, it was a detail that was easy to look over. Students were accustomed to having the restaurant open before and after their classes.

“I think it’s unfair to student-athletes especially. They get out of practice late and already have a very limited window to eat,” Carmen Morales, sophomore biology major, said.

Student-athletes already struggle with a busy schedule. Between their sport and classes, they have significantly less available time in their days. With this new change, students struggling to find the time to go to Chick-fil-A are met with a tighter schedule.

Emily Marr, junior criminal justice major, feels that it isn’t just the athletes being affected by this change.

“I feel like it is inconvenient, especially for students who do not have a car. That was the main food outlet for many on campus,” Marr said.

Some students are only able to eat what is available on campus. Without a vehicle, students rely on NSU’s dining hall, Steak n’ Shake and Chick-fil-A.

“I do not like how Chick-fil-A changed their hours because beforehand it was the only dining option past 7:30 p.m. Now if you want to eat after that time there is nowhere to go,” Kailee Tartamella, sophomore nursing major, said.

Lennon Shumate, junior English major, is finding that they simply do not have enough time in their days to comfortably be able to meet all their obligations while also finding food on campus.

“I do not like the new hours because I usually do not eat dinner until 8 p.m., and now that is no longer an option,” Shumate said.

Many students have had to alter their schedules due to the reduction of hours. “I just do not like that they close so early. It is more convenient and lightweight to eat right before sleeping than a burger and fries,” Talayja Jefferson, freshman psychology major, said.

Some students just genuinely prefer Chick-fil-A over other options. Steak n’ Shake is a great option to get food from; however, some people would rather eat something not quite as heavy for dinner, and other students would rather not eat from the Iberville Cafeteria three times a day.

Due to the new hours, not all students can find the time in their day to get food. Since many college students have worked in fast food, some have reservations about getting food near closing time. Some would rather not go than potentially bother the workers.

“I do not always make it on time, and I feel bad showing up near closing time,” Hanna W., sophomore psychology major, said.

While there is another Chick-fil-A in Natchitoches that is open 6:30 a.m. till 10 p.m., it is over a mile away from campus and not easily accessible to students without cars.

There are many opinions about the change in Chick-fil-A’s hours of operation. Most raise the concern that this decision was made without the interest of students in mind. Sodexo said that the change in hours happens because of the lack of workers they have at Chick-fil-A.