April Fools: NSU’s frisbee team championship win uncovers scandal

Kallie Bourgeois
NSU’s Frisbee Team faced injury but came out victorious at the 2024 Southland Conference Frisbee Championship.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana’s ultimate frisbee team won the 2024 Southern Collegiate Ultimate Frisbee Championship but the celebration was cut short due to injury.

At the championships, last week at Springfield, Missouri, ultimate frisbee head coach Philip Waters suffered a concussion after an incident involving two freshman Demon athletes.

Elijah Tucker, junior psychology major and handler for the ultimate frisbee team, recalled the events that took place after the celebration.

“Brian and Tyler were just playing around with a frisbee after the win, just throwing it back and forth,” Tucker said. “Then Brian threw it a little too hard in coach Green’s direction and it gave him a black eye.”

Tucker addressed the speculation growing throughout the NSU and Natchitoches community.

“I’ve been hearing the gossip lately, I was at Storybrew getting coffee after my run and I heard an old couple saying it wasn’t an accident,” Tucker said. “Honestly, I don’t know what to think. Brian had a little resentment towards the coach because of his lack of playing time.”

Tyler Hawthorne, freshman criminal justice major, shared his perspective from the incident.

“I’m so sorry that coach got injured, we should’ve never been reckless,” Hawthorne said. “I will run however many miles as he wants for punishment.”

Brian Rushing, freshman business major, refused to address the rumors. However, Brain’s mother, Amanda Rushing, explained that these rumors are false and stands strong with her son.

“My little snuggle bug would never injure his coach,” Amanda said. “It’s outrageous that the community would think that my baby would be capable of such evil!”

The mother also addressed her son’s known past anger issues during his high school ultimate frisbee career.

“Yes, my son does have anger issues, but he wouldn’t intentionally hurt his coach,” Amanda said.

Coach Waters addressed the rumors and the future of the team in a press conference on Monday, April 1.

“The rumors are false, I personally did not suffer any injury of any kind,” Waters said. “It was my identical twin, Peyton, who was hit in the head with a frisbee that day.”

With more questions rising within the Natchitoches community, many are left to speculate what that truth is. Why was head coach Waters’ twin posing as the coach that day? Does Brian have unresolved anger issues? When did NSU suddenly gain an ultimate frisbee team?

At this moment Peyton Waters has chosen to not speak out about why he was attending the game that day and why he was posing as his brother.

Happy April Fools! All events, people and scandals that are mentioned above are fake. All the information and people mentioned in this article are not real or were not actually interviewed.