NSU Lady Demons Basketball team hosted the annual “Don’t Die Wondering” golf tournament

Submitted by Lauren Krupica
These locals have rallied together to participate in the Lady Demons basketball team’s annual golfing tournament.

Driving into the Northwestern Hills golf course, people will find local supporters of the Northwestern State University of Louisiana Lady Demons women’s basketball team. These locals have rallied together to participate in the Lady Demons’ annual golfing tournament.

This tournament is a fundraiser to help fund the team as they approach a new season. Participants like Russell Meissner, the branch manager of J&J exterminators, enjoyed the event despite his golfing skill level.

“It’s fun for me, I am not a golfer,” he said.  “So, it is absolute fun, its perfect weather out here. It’s time to spend some time with other people. Get to spend time and talk with the girls and meet them.”

As for the Lady Demons, they take advantage of the fundraiser to get to know some of the people who are filling up those stands for a game. Jordan Brown, first year member on the team, expressed her gratitude to the fans that support the team.

“It warms our hearts because we have people who are there for us to bring us up or bring us up when we’re down or just to keep cheering us on and motivating us,” Brown said.

A team like the Lady Demons considers its supporters to be like family. After the community showed up for the tournament, the supporters along with the team have come together to make this event a hole in one.

The name of the event “Don’t Die Wondering” started from previous head coach smith 35 years ago and has become a tradition through the history of the team. The current head coach Anna Nimz believes whole heartedly in the statement and understands the phrase along with its importance to the team.

“Coaches tell you to live it out on the court,” Coach Nimz said. “To give it your all. Angela ortega made a mention of don’t die wondering. Don’t die wondering if you didn’t give it your all. Don’t die wondering if you left it all on the court.”

NSU is a part of the Natchitoches community, Nimz said when the city comes together to support the school, everyone becomes one team.