The capital outlay plans promise big renovations for NSU

Nick Taylor
Construction of the new Robert Alost Hall building in progress at Northwestern State University of Louisiana.

On Wednesday Sept. 27, 2023, the University of Louisiana System conducted a site visit to Northwestern State University of Louisiana to discuss the 2023-2024 Capital Outlay plans.

Capital Outlay is a five-year plan which all nine ULS universities must develop each academic year to submit to the ULS Facility Planning Committee. Capital Outlay plans typically include new construction projects, renovations to existing buildings and major repairs.

Jim Henderson, president and chief executive officer of the ULS, explained the process of submitting a capital plan.

“The board approves items submitted by each university through the system office and our staff reviews the submissions and recommends their approval through my office,” Henderson said.

Funding for Capital Outlay projects comes either from ULS or outside sources to avoid using individual university budgets.

“The ULS Facility Planning Committee must approve each university’s plan as part of the capital outlay process, but the funding comes through the legislative appropriations process,” Henderson said.

Henderson then reports to a 16-member board made of 15 members appointed by the governor and one member is elected by the Student Government Association presidents. Bailey Willis, NSU SGA president, is the current student board member.

Though he believes all aspects of the Capital Outlay projects will greatly improve NSU, Henderson expressed his excitement for the Robert Alost Academic Building.

“On the west side of campus, significant dirt work is underway to prepare the foundation for what will be a technologically advanced classroom building that will replace a significant part of Kyser Hall,” Henderson said.

Robert Alost Hall is intended to be a state-of-the-art academic building for nursing, math, social work, psychology and English departments. Construction for the Robert Alost Hall has already begun and is estimated to be an 18-month project.

Mark Melder, John S. Kyser Hall building manager, explained that Robert Alost Hall will prove beneficial to all on-campus students of NSU.

“Having a modern space for classes and other educational experiences will certainly benefit our students, a new facility for our students will definitely make their time here at NSU better,” Melder said.

Henderson lists the upcoming Capital Outlay projects coming to NSU.

“Some projects include a Health Performance Center, the expansion of nursing through the buildout of Warrington Place in Shreveport, and a renovation to A.A. Fredericks Performing Arts Building,” Henderson said.

Construction of the David and Sherry Morgan Health Performance Center will begin as the next Capital Outlay project.

Jennifer Kelly, director of university affairs, explained the plans for the new center.

“Another Capital Outlay request, that has been partially funded, is the Health Performance Center for athletics,” Kelly said. “This project should go to bid in late October or early November and will be an approximate 24-month project once the Notice to Proceed has been awarded to a contractor.”

The NSU Shreveport campus will begin Capital Outlay projects as well.

“Students should know they are the primary concern in the capital outlay planning process,” Henderson said. “NSU exists to develop talent, empowering students to realize their individual goals and capital improvements enhance that work dramatically.”