CID’s 3rd annual MLK Day of Service events honors the commiment of community service

Lalaina Wood
The Center for Inclusion and Diversity’s third annual Martin Luther King Jr. day of service consisted of two days of organizations participating in service projects.

Martin Luther King Jr. is known for his service as a prominent figure of the 1960s civil rights movement: leading nonviolent advancements for equality. MLK shared his ambitions for a world without segregation and became most known for his “I Have a Dream” speech in 1963.

In 1968 MLK was assassinated and motions for a holiday in his honor began. It was not until 1983, 15 years following, that congress passed a bill assigning the third Monday of every January as a federal holiday to honor MLK.

Then, in 1994, Pennsylvania U.S. Sen. Harris Wolford and U.S. Rep. John Lewis of Georgia co-authored the King Holiday and Service Act, which transformed the MLK holiday into a federally recognized day of community service.

In 2024, on the 28th anniversary of the MLK holiday, Northwestern State University of Louisiana and the city of Natchitoches celebrated their 3rd annual MLK Day of Service.

Due to cold weather, events on MLK day were canceled. However, community service events on Jan. 12 and 13 remained on schedule.
NSU’s Center for Inclusion and Diversity gave student organizations the opportunity to serve at the Rolling Hills Ministries Thrift Store, Boys and Girls Club of Natchitoches, Community Clean Up or Bingo at the Natchitoches Community Care Center. Participating parties also had the option to serve at multiple locations if desired.

Brittany Blackwell Broussard, director of culture and climate for CID, shared that over 100 individuals within 19 separate student organizations participated in the MLK Day of Service events this year.

“We are proud to report an estimated 240 community service hours clocked between Friday and Saturday,” Broussard said.
Broussard believes MLK Day of Service is the way to honor MLK’s legacy.

“He stressed the importance of serving others and building community through civic engagement,” Broussard said. “His legacy naturally created a Day of Service that has grown over the years across the country to remember this part of his message.”

She hopes to continue honoring MLK by including more students and community members in growing annual service projects.
Marley Livingston, president of the African American Caucus, encourages her organization to participate in MLK day of service events annually.

“As part of an organization that holds community service events in high regard, it’s a great way for our members to engage with the community and understand that there is always something to be done,” Livingston said.

Livingston expressed her encouragement to all students about the importance of community service.

“It’s imperative to be active in the days of service, whether you’re a part of a club, organization or just something you want to do personally, it’s an amazing opportunity,” Livingston said. “It’s a small way to honor MLK Jr. by engaging with the community.”

Derrick Varnado Jr., Reginald F. Lewis Scholars Program and Sigma Nu Fraternity member, has participated in MLK Day of Service events since 2021 through both his organizations.

This year, Varnado served in the Natchitoches Nursing Home and Natchitoches Community Care Center.

“I loved the opportunity for the MLK service,” Varnado said. “What he did for people was out of service, so it is only right that we as a community and student body do the same in serving our surrounding campus community.”

Varnado signifies MLK Day of Service to not only connect with the community, but also a means to continue conversations about the great things MLK did.

“I think sometimes people can forget that there has been progress made, MLK service day is a chance for us to see the positives of Dr. King’s Dream that have been done,” Varnado said.

This day for many of the participants, and personally for Varnado, is a chance to appreciate Martin Luther King’s dream.
“When you look around at the people who are serving and the people who we are serving for, you get a feel for what Dr. Martin Luther King did,” Varnado said. “It helps us remember in the times when we may not think everything is where it is supposed to be, there has been progress and there will be continual progress.”