SGA’s annual Leadership NSU conference welcomed student leaders and other universities

Amy Lee
Students checked in at the Friedman Student Union with the Student Government Association to prepare for the Leadership NSU conference.

The Student Government Association hosted its 8th annual Leadership NSU conference, Patience and Perseverance, on Jan. 26 and 27 in the Friedman Student Union. The main goal of the organizers was to motivate students to persevere.

Throughout the past eight years, the Leadership NSU conference has grown into a staple professional development opportunity for students held by SGA in adjunct with several organizations such as the University Programming Council, the Department of Greek Life, First Year Experience, Cane River National Heritage Center and Campus Living Village.

Trevor O’Bannon, coordinator of Student Activities and Organizations and the Office of Student Accessibility and Disability Support, shared that he has attended three different Leadership NSU conferences and has seen the change of it. This year will be his fourth.

“The way that it has changed over the years is the most exciting part. We are opening it to new universities to come and visit, some of our sister organizations are currently here such as Texas A&M Texarkana’s UPC equivalent and SGA equivalent, and some of their student leaders,” O’Bannon said.

O’Bannon also said that excitement is being brought back to the conference by adding dinner and a show for students to enjoy as a way to bring light as they complete the day.

Kamryn Babineaux, UPC coordinator and sophomore health and exercise science major, shared what she expected to gain from Leadership NSU.

“I expect to learn leadership skills, to be able to broaden my horizons, and learn speaking skills,” Babineaux said.

Babineaux said that students should attend to make better connections for the future.

Lyndsay Brown, SGA Senator, junior business administration major, said that guest speaker Jay Harris, ESPN anchor, impacted her the most at this year’s conference.

“His story about his patience and perseverance while getting into school and grad school really spoke out to me because I think like a lot of people and don’t realize there are some people who don’t have it the best unfortunately when they’re up and coming in the world,” Brown said.

In accordance with the theme, Brown said that you need people to be patient and have perseverance. After seven long hours of fellowship, learning new skills, and companionship, Leadership NSU ended with a pasta dinner and magical performance by comedian Jonathan Burns.