NSU organizations and departments welcome February with a month full of events

Jayda Gee
NSU’s National Association of Black Journalists along with other organizations around campus meet to prepare events during Black History Month.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana organizations host numerous events throughout February to celebrate Black History Month.

Beginning Feb. 1, Black Male Alliance will begin a fundraising event called “Peaceful Givings.” Coree Nash, junior social work major and president of BMA, explained how the fundraising process will operate.

“Each member will try and sell each day on a calendar during the whole month of February and whoever buys a day just pays what the day is,” Nash said. “If you buy February 1 then you pay one dollar.”

On Feb. 6, the NSU National Association for the Advancement of Colored People in partnership with The Current Sauce will host a panel event “Use Your Voice” in the Student Union Ballroom at 6 p.m. To teach the audience the importance of the First Amendment.

On Feb. 15, BMA will host a Barbershop Talk titled “Why do Black Males Refuse to Go to the Doctor.” This event will take place at Platinum Kuts, located at 141 Caspari Street, at 5 p.m.

Helping Hands will host its 24th annual production of ‘Black History Program’ on Feb. 22 in the Magale Recital Hall.

Malaya White, president of the NSU National Association of Black Journalists association, shared that the National Association of Black Journalists will host a special segment of their podcast which will be available to students on all streaming platforms.

“We will be having a specific Black History Month episode of our podcast ‘The Black Voice,’” White said.

Marley Livingston, president of African American Caucus, will host several events with her members including an open game night, table event and a community service event.

“For black history month, the African American Caucus is adopting a week, February 19-23, that will highlight black activities dealing with black mental health,” Livingston said.

AAC will also be collaborating with the NSU Center for Inclusion and Diversity for a showing of documentaries which highlight Black history. Brittany Broussard, Director of Culture and Climate for CID, shared that the documentary is called ‘The Order of Myths.’ More information will be shared in the coming weeks.

“This award-winning documentary from ‘Descendant’ director Margaret Brown explores the racially divided Mardi Gras traditions in Mobile, Alabama,” Broussard said.

CID will also be collaborating with the School of Social Science and Applied Programs and the Dear School of Creative and Performing Arts for the last event of the month.

Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement Lecture and Music Performance will take place on Feb. 29 in the Student Union Ballroom at 6 p.m. Featuring guest performer Galen Abdur-Razzaq, master flutist.

Broussard specified the presentation will display music which highlights various artists, their music, their influence on the evolution of jazz and their struggles.

“It illustrates how jazz became an advocacy for the Civil Rights Movement, with proceeds from jazz concerts used to finance major events such as the Freedom Rides and the March on Washington in 1963,” Broussard said.

For more information about these events, please reach out to prospective organization or department leaders.