NSU increases enrollment by maintaining current students

Lalaina Wood
Current students continue to follow their daily schedule and move from class to class.

Following the enrollment decline of the Fall 2023 semester, retaining students that are currently enrolled has remained the priority.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana has successfully increased retention rates for the Spring 2024 semester.

Vanner Erikson, director of enrollment and recruiting, explained that NSU offers resources for high school students to hopefully benefit enrollment, but that retaining current students is just as important.

“There are multiple reasons for the decline in enrollment, but we aren’t the only schools facing a decline, about nine other schools in the state are as low as we are,” Erikson said. “When you think of enrollment, whether it’s a decline or increase, a piece of that is not only recruiting but it’s also retention and retaining the students that you have.”

Since shifting focus toward retention, Erikson has seen significant improvement in spring enrollment.

“The retention number skyrocketed to the highest of all time to 87.8% of those students that retain at Northwestern,” Erikson said.

He also addressed that, yes, the decline extends from previous years, but there will always be a spring enrollment decline until NSU gets more students in the fall semesters.

“Our total enrollment number for the spring was 8,035, so it was a bit lower, the good thing is our total number of freshmen that came in the fall and went into the spring,” Erikson said. “From that point it’s awesome, because that means we are doing things right in terms of looking at helpful financial pieces, scholarships, barriers students are having and fixing those.”

Erikson predicts the incoming class of 2028 should bring more freshmen in the Fall 2024 semester.

“If there’s any indicator for next fall, the fall of 2024, all of the receptions we’ve been doing are higher than last year; those are students that are more than likely coming to Northwestern,” Erikson said. “So if that’s high, in my opinion, I think we’ll start seeing some increases across the board as we look at total enrollment and other things.”

Though incoming freshmen play a big role, there are other means of increasing enrollment numbers at NSU.

“What helps spring numbers are all the students including: first-time freshman, transfer students, graduate students, dual enrollment students and international students, so across the board, we have strategies in all those places that we consistently do things to increase enrollment,” Erikson said.

Yonna Pasch, director of student affairs, explained that the decline in enrollment has been a trend in higher education for the past few years.

“Our university enrollment team has worked hard to close the enrollment gap and they continue to be creative and intentional in their outreach efforts,” Pasch said.

Student affairs is an integral part of the student experience which can also involve enrollment.

“Out of classroom activities, programs, resources and opportunities help students find a successful path at NSU,” Pasch said. “We are committed to supporting the success of the whole student through initiatives that focus on academic, emotional, psychological, physical and spiritual growth.”

Student affairs provides many resources to set up currently enrolled students for a continual, successful college experience.

“I feel it is important to focus on the students that are enrolled currently and finding ways to keep them engaged and persisting to the next semester,” Pasch said.

Pasch highlights the creation of the Demon Mentor Network as an initiative from Student Affairs to increase retention at NSU. The program pairs freshmen with current students of NSU to help navigate college successfully.

“It might not increase enrollment of first time freshmen but the program aims to help increase persistence with continuing students,” Pasch said. “I believe NSU is on the right track to help with our enrollment numbers.”

Pasch encourages current students to be engaged in on campus activities.

“I want students to realize that they are their best advocates,” Pasch said. “I challenge students to step out of their comfort zone and be part of their campus community in some way, engaged students are enrolled students.”

Marissa Howard, sophomore social work major, is involved in the Social Work Club, TRiO Student Support Services and La Belle Femme. She believes that being involved with different organizations on campus helps students fit in.

“I would recommend NSU to other students considering applying, because NSU has a place for everyone,” Howard said. “There is at least one organization for any of your interests and if there isn’t one, you can find people to help you create the organization.”

Howard also said that students who live on campus are more likely to stay enrolled.

“Students who live on campus definitely are more involved on campus because it is easier for them to access events,” Howard said. “Since I live on campus, when events are hosted, they are almost always within walking distance.”

During her experience at NSU, Howard has utilized several resources of NSU which can help students stay enrolled as well.

“Tutoring is offered all around campus and there are many organizations that have mentors who can help guide you through your college life.” Howard said. “NSU definitely can make it feel like the campus is your home away from home.”

Similar to Howard, Cailen Wiltcher, sophomore health and exercise science major, explained that being a part of Sigma Sigma Sigma Alpha Zeta, Alpha Lambda Data and TRiO has allowed her to be successful at NSU.

“Being involved in campus organizations helps draw you closer to the campus, it definitely enriches the college experience,” Wiltcher said.

Freshman Connection, Demon Days and other events on campus allow new students to adjust to campus life.

“NSU offers a multitude of services to help create a successful college experience,” Wiltcher said. “The events and organizations help navigate and assist with academics and campus life.”

Wiltcher shared that becoming a Demon at NSU helped her find her place and feel welcome to a new chapter of her life.

“NSU also offers a small campus feel with all of the advantages of a larger campus,” Wiltcher said. “It gives you the opportunity of one on one interaction with faculty and staff while providing first class education for your future.”

While NSU may be experiencing a decrease in enrollment of prospective students, the number of students choosing to continue their education and college life at this institution is increasing due to events, organizations and resources offered on campus.